Saturday, November 5, 2016

Toccoa DH - fishing report

I just couldn't resist - I knew the Toccoa DH had been stocked a few days prior.  The weather was perfect.  The flow was low, but I knew it wasn't too crowded because I went to the river with one of my kids to have a look earlier in the day. I snuck out around 3:00 p.m. and stringed up the 10 foot 4 weight with a PT style nymph.  It started a little slow.  I picked up a couple, and then lost a really nice one. I made my way downstream, catching a few here and there, but still not as hot as I thought it would be.  I got below an island and hooked into a nice fish. I had just changed to a Patrick's Rubber Legs, and this fish (shown above) put up a pretty good fight on the 4 weight.  I worked by way down about 1/2 a mile, and caught a few more. Then I walked back upstream and put in at an area that always holds fish.  I saw trout all over in the shallow water - they were stacked up and scattering like they didn't know they belonged in a river. I caught a couple more, and then got out of the river due to a prior engagement.  All in all, a good day on the water.  Over a dozen nice fish in less than two hours.  I sure hope we get some rain, though, because these fish probably won't last long in the low water conditions.