Sunday, March 27, 2016

Toccoa DH Report: 3/27/2016

After going to Church on Easter I wanted to hit the river again.  I had about an hour and I made the most of it.  I was able to wade out to my favorite area on the river.  I immediately got into some fish.  The fly of the day was a frenchie around a size 16. I was actually using a two nymph system to get the fly down, with the frenchie as the bottom fly.  I fished the same set-up for the entire hour. There were some quality fish - I ended up with  about a dozen in an hour, including one that was around 15 inches. I lost a quality fish after a long fight. The fish jumped out of the water 6 times and I just couldn't muscle him out of the current.  He finally jumped a 7th time and spit the hook. With my 4 weight rod and 6x tippet, it was a losing battle.  Still, a great hour of fishing.  Nobody else on the water made it even more enjoyable.