Saturday, February 27, 2016

Toccoa DH Report

I was in Blue Ridge, Georgia over the weekend and decided to take a few hours and wet a line Saturday afternoon.  The weather was spectacular.  I was planning to head up to Noontootla, but on my way up I couldn't resist stopping by the Toccoa DH.  The water is still really high. I think it was about 1050 cfs - normal safe wading is around 350 cfs.  I managed to get in and over to a shallow run that I like to fish.  I started with a red headed black betty that I tied a short while ago.  Despite the size of the fly, it was quite productive euro style.  After about 10 fish, I wanted to try some different flies. I switched to a Holographic Ultimate Warrior, and surprisingly, caught nothing.  After a few drifts I switched to Frenchie. I immediately caught a few nice bows.  I then switched to a purple zebra midge, tied in the same method as the Hot Spot Blood Red Zebra Midge.   After a few unproductive drifts I dropped a slightly larger PT off the bend of the Midge, and immediately started catching more fish.  As I mentioned earlier, the weather was outstanding - probably around 55 degrees, but the water was cold. My feet started to get numb, and I didn't want to be on the water once the sun went down, so I made my way back to shore and called it a good day.