Monday, January 18, 2016

Blue Ridge Report

It was a cold weekend.  I spent some time tying flies and decided to try a few of my patterns out on the water. I had low expectations. The Toccoa DH is still too high to fish.  I hopped in the truck and made my way towards Noontootla; however, on the drive up I spotted a small stream I've always wondered about.   I knew there was a little bit of forest service land on this creek, so I parked just off the road and rigged up.  The water was high and I wasn't sure if there were trout in this stream.  Much to my surprise, my flies worked and I caught a handful of very small wild bows.  The creek was beautiful, and because it's not more than 10 minutes from my cabin, I'm sure I'll be back.
The next day I drove up to Noontootla. It had snowed a little bit the night before, so it was cold.  I spent an hour or so on the creek, but only managed two small bows.  I guess there's a reason some folks don't fish when the temps are around freezing.  Nevertheless, I enjoyed my time on the water.