Thursday, June 26, 2014

Yellowstone: Firehole River Brown

We went back to the Firehole today. I worked my way down from the old iron bridge towards muleshoe bend.  Right after the first big bend there is an island that splits the river.  I saw fish rising, but the hatch was sporadic. I managed to land the above pictured brown, in addition to a 14 inch bow.  I ended up catching 15 or so fish.  The brown shown above was my best fish of the day.  Once I got to muleshoe it was crowded, but I caught a number of rising fish before working my way back up stream.  I was amazed at the geiser shooting water right in front of some fishermen tossing dry flies in the mist.  I also saw a raven and osprey fighting over a fish in a mid-air battle that continued back and forth through the bend for at least five minutes - remarkable.