Monday, October 28, 2013

TFO BVK 8 Weight Review

Earlier this year I parted ways with my G. Loomis 8 weight.  I didn't realize how much I would miss having an 8 weight.  I debated the last few months between various rods, and ultimately decided to go with a TFO BVK.  I must admit, I was hesitant to pull the trigger on a non-american made rod.  At the end of the day, though, I simply couldn't justify spending $700 plus dollars on a rod that I only use a few times per year for chucking large streamers.  I used the BVK on Saturday and was very impressed. The rod is fast, but still has some touch.  I was using sink tip with articulated streamers, and didn't have any problem with accuracy or distance.   I was shocked by how light the rod felt, not only in the hand, but during casting. The weight is listed at 3.2 ounces.  I didn't know the weight until I looked it up today.  It feels as light as my Sage Z-Axis 6 weight.  Strangely enough, the 8 weight BVK felt much lighter than the 5 weight I was using during the same day.  I rate the rod as high or higher than the G. Loomis I was using before.  My only complaints thus far are as follows:
1.  The rod did not come with a case, which is absurd.  Any decent quality rod should come with a case.
2. The alignment dots are a little off.
3. The reel seat seems a little small.  I much preferred the Loomis set up with regard to the reel seat.
I am very happy with the purchase.  Now I need to put it to the test on a big brown.  I hope to have that opportunity later this week.