Sunday, June 5, 2011

Big Creek

I decided to take my 2 year old son on a hike on Saturday.  I've been wanting to explore Big Creek, located in the Big Frog Wilderness Area, for quite some time, so we packed up the backpack, and just in case, I threw my rod and reel in the car.  It took us quite a bit of time traveling on a forest service road to find our destination, but we eventually started hiking upstream on a forest service trail.  We hiked for about 2 miles and the creek was suddenly undeserving of its name.   Nevertheless,  I rigged up a very large stimulator, and with my son on my back, creeped to a small pool.  I couldn't cast - the conditions were too tight.  I used the bow and arrow method and right when the fly hit the water, something came out of the water.  It wasn't big, but it was definitely a trout.  A few more attempts and I got one to take.  One fish was enough for me, so after some more exploring, we hiked back to the car and drove home.  It's not often that catching one fish will make for a good trip, but this is a trip I'll never forget!