Monday, November 30, 2015

Toccoa DH Report

I had the opportunity to fish the Toccoa DH for a few hours over the long weekend.  I went for about an hour on Thanksgiving morning.  I had not checked the water levels and didn't realize it was pushing around 600.   Wading was a little difficult, but I managed to wade in at a few spots and fool a couple of trout.  Saturday afternoon I went to the lower section of the DH to get in an hour of fishing before dark. I waded in and quickly realized the fish were hugging the bottom. I tied on a large jig hook and then dropped a small warrior off the back. I picked up a few fish and waded out as it got dark.  I spotted someone fishing with worms and probably poaching. I approached and the poacher immediately left. I then high-sticked a shallow run and picked up a nice fat rainbow as darkness fell.
I need to find some time to spend an entire day fishing the river. Bright colors and heavy flies seem to be the ticket. The fish have spread out and they have "wisened up" over the last month.