Friday, November 11, 2016

Big Snowbird DH Report

I drove up to meet some folks at Big Snowbird on Friday morning.  The fires were burning all over, but we figured it wouldn't be quite as bad around Big Snowbird.  I got there around 10:30 a.m. and went straight to a pool that has always produced. Sure enough I spotted a big Brookie. I tied on 6x tippet and a size 18 rainbow warrior and got the big guy on my first cast. It took me a while to bring him in, but I got him to hand.  Somewhere around 18-20 inches.  I then worked downstream - picking up some fish here and there.  I got to another good pool where the fish were stacked up, and landed a variety of fish using the warrior.  A guy showed up and started fishing about 20 feet from me, so I moved down stream, and picked up a few more bows and brookies.  Around 1:00 I went back to the truck and drank a beer and ate a banana.  I had caught at least 20 fish, and was pretty much done. I went to find the other guys I was with, and as I was walking on the road, I noticed a run full of fish.  I stood on the bank and highsticked the run, catching 11 fish in 11 casts.  I don't have any idea how many fish I caught during the rest of the day, but it was a significant number. Snowbird has never let me down this time of year.