Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cosby Creek - Scouting

I was in Newport, Tennessee this weekend for business.  I stayed at a cabin in Cosby, Tennessee.  While in Cosby,  I took a few minutes and drove to Cosby Creek in the Smokies to determine if this is a stream I might want to visit in the future. 
There was still a little snow on the ground.  I walked down to the stream at the campground and hiked down the creek for maybe 1/4 to 1/2 a mile.  This is a small creek.  The rhody is out of control.  Honestly, at least in the area that I scouted, there is no legitimate room for regular casting. Bow and arrow, short roll casts, and flip casts would be about as much as a guy could hope for on this section of the creek.  This is a beautiful area of the Smokies, and I'm sure there are plenty of 7 inch bows and browns in Cosby Creek, and possibly a few natives, but I would be surprised if fish of any size are prevalent.  I wouldn't go out of my way to fish this creek in the future; though it's worth an hour or two just for the scenery.