Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Coho on the Fly

I woke up at 4 a.m. on the last day of my trip intent on landing a Silver (Coho) Salmon.
I rigged up a 12 foot leader that was a combination of two left-over short (and stocky) "cherokee" leaders.  I got to my spot, with Dolly's going nuts at my feet, and salmon doing acrobatics about 50-100 feet in front of me.  I worked on my double haul casting and hoped my 5 weight would be enough if I got lucky and hooked into one of the early coho salmon running this time of year.  Within 30 minutes I had one on, and after a rather long fight, I got him to shore and took his picture (shown above).  He was small by Coho standards, but big enough!   I hooked 2 more that were much bigger;  though they managed to ditch the hook before I could get them to hand.  I'm not sure I really had a chance on the larger fish that I lost.  It was the first time I had ever seen the backing on my reel; and I saw it on every Coho I got on the end of my line. It was the perfect ending to another outstanding trip back home.  I'll post some additional pictures when I have more time.